Short Term Program (STP)
The Short-Term Programs (STPs) offer groups from universities around the world an opportunity to hone English-language skills while exploring a popular tourist destination. Based in Charleston, S.C., this customizable 2-8 week program combines traditional classroom instruction with cultural outings. Our engaging and experienced instructors will guide students through lessons designed to increase English language proficiency and expand cultural literacy. Students are integrated with the regular ELI students from around the world and live in the student residences, providing ample opportunity for a rigorous academic learning environment and social interaction.
Cultural exploration topics include:
- Southern and Charleston-area history,
- Charleston’s unique architecture, and
- Charleston’s connection to the sea.
Examples of past excursions include:
- Harbor tour
- Gibbes Museum
- Lunch/ dinner at a local restaurant
- College of Charleston sporting event
- Volunteering at a local charity
- Visits to Charleston historic sites including:
– Old Slave Mart museum
– Charleston Museum
– Nathaniel Russell House
– a walking tour of downtown Charleston
– a picnic at Hampton Park
– a tour of a local plantation
If you are interested in participating in a CofC ELI Short-Term Program for your university group, please email LearnEnglish@cofc.edu.